Powered By Blogger

Friday, December 6, 2013

Oh Well, It Will Have To Do.

I have never been one for decorations in any holiday. Getting presents and wrapping them as quick as I can is the only way I see things...for the last decade of my life. Fortunately this year, with the baby on the way, I am starting to find the Christmas spirit and decided to by a Christmas tree for my living room. As I was walking into the Christmas tree section of a local popular store, I noticed they were selling fake trees at a low cost. I decided that I had better snatch this tree up because they won't last long at this price. I brought my 'good buy' home and wasn't too sure where I wanted to set it up. I chose the corner of the living room which would (in my own opinion) would bring this house together. After I made sure of the area that I decided to set my tree, my daughter turned the television on to "Sound of Music" musical. Trying to make heads or tails of which side is which to set the tree, I hear in the background "Do Re Mi" in the background. Let me explain to you that I do not like musicals. I am very happy with "The Nightmare Before Christmas" or any other books and movies by Henry Selick and/or Tim Burton. But I can't believe that I have grown so soft as to like....even remotely of "Sound of Music". Its a classic, right? But so is "The Grinch". As I am pulling out these pipe-cleaning look-a-like branches from a thin box, I find the directions on how to set-up a christmas tree. "Need help? Do not call the store, go to our website" was in big red letters on the little pamphlet. "Man," I muttered under my breath. "I can't even get instructions when (and I will) mess up this pathetic tree?" I just shrugged my shoulders and continued on trying to figure out what branch goes where, standing it up to find another connecting part. Pretty soon I was able to connect the bottom half of the tree with the little stand that the manufacturers supplied in the cardboard box. Standing in the corner, I couldn't help but notice the top part of the tree was rather crooked. I tried and tried to straighten it out. The bottom half of the tree was straight, maybe a connecting part to the top was off kilter? No. I discovered that the whole stem of the tree shifted to the left.. Just my luck to buy a tree at such a low price only to have a malfunction... Oh well, it will have to do. Next comes lights! I can do this! We have new ones from last year still in the box! This will be easier to set up on this tree! I remember when I was little and my father was in charge of getting the lights up on the tree, he would stretch them across the living room to see if they all work together. It reminded me of being on a stage (which I was accustomed to because of my dance recitals) so that is what I decided to do. Although it was a little tree that I had bought, the same memories of my father were appearing in my mind while I checked every bulb connection. Finally I was able to set them on the tree in windy-fashioned from the top branch to the base. As I finish my task, I realize that I started with the wrong plug. Now in my house, I am all for feminism, equal rights and what-not, but I didn't know that it had to do with the 'female' plug on top and the 'male' on the bottom of the tree. I needed it to plug it in the socket that was next to where I had set the tree up. After I had the pain-staking task to remove all the lights off the tree and turn the 'little gems' back around so they will fit accordingly. After I finished doing this, I sat down on the couch, looked at my sorry little tree and threw up my hands. Oh well, it will have to do. Now it was time to decorate...REAL decorating! I found a string of red beads to string along the tree. It wasn't a very gaudy color and I thought it would look quite nice with the surrounding ornaments that dangled back and forth. I had also found a few momento ornaments from when I was young and what my daughter made for me when she was a child. I still have to get a few things to make it 'my own' christmas tree. I have to also put up my daughter's Christmas stocking and my cat Shaddow's Christmas stocking. Can't forget about our furry family members! :) As I look at my little Christmas tree, I think to myself "Oh well, it will have to do". Merry Christmas Everyone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment